State, AP and College Testing

State Tests



College Tests

High school students take several different types of school-wide tests and optional tests. Several other tests, such as the ACT and SAT, are used by colleges and universities as part of their entrance requirements. These tests are optional for our students, however we encourage all students to take the exams if they plan on continuing on to higher education.

The SAT & ACT are not offered at LJHS. To find a testing site go to


The PSAT is the practice test for the SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test). It is offered one time a year in the Fall. Students will receive their test booklets back as well as a score report with information about ways to improve scores. Check with your counselor for more information.


There are two major college tests, the SAT and ACT. Here are some tips on deciding to take one or both tests.

  • Visit the website for the universities and colleges that you will be applying to in order to make sure you meet each university's and college's testing deadlines.

  • California State Universities (CSU's) require the SAT Reasoning or ACT with writing.

  • University of California schools (UC's) require the SAT Reasoning or ACT with writing and two SAT Subject Tests. See the individual University websites for more detailed information. Some campuses prefer certain subject tests depending on campus and major.

  • Private colleges and universities require the SAT Reasoning or ACT w/writing. Some private schools do not require the writing test. See the individual website for each individual school for admission requirements.It is best to take the writing portion in case it is required. If it is not, it will not be considered or count against you.

  • Highly selective private colleges and universities also require two or three SAT Subject Tests. See individual school website for admission requirements. Some campuses prefer certain subject tests depending on major, etc.

  • Community colleges do not require any entrance exams. However, you will be required to take math and English placement tests when you apply to determine your math and English levels for course enrollment.

Advanced Placement Tests

Advance Placement (AP) Exams are standardized exams designed to measure how well you've mastered the content and skills of a specific AP course. Most AP Courses have an end-of-year exam or portfolio submission. Most U.S. Colleges grant credit, advanced placement, or both for qualifying AP scores. AP Exams are usually given in May. 

If you are enrolled in an Advanced Placement (AP) course, it is strongly recommended that you take the AP test for that course in the spring. You will need to sign up for the tests in advance and there may be a fee. For more information see your AP teacher or counselor for dates and fees.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.